Tuesday

To be or not to be (letterboxed or 4x3)

So I have to admit, being a film major I should have known better, but many of my classmates (scratch that, ALL of them) had a comment or two about my first video blog. Mostly concerning my awesome hat, ok, not really, most of the comments came because of my formatting of the 1st vlog in a 4x3 television format.

Or at least that is what it used to be called.

...but I digress:

Pan n' Scan Pam





Widescreen Pam



Just as it was the European standard of a few years back, widescreen films at home (and now online) started taking over our sets when DVDs became popular. Now television sets are made with LCD and plasma screens, they have almost all gone to 16x9 as the format of choice. With web video (like my vlog), I had a chance to use a widescreen format but I was kinda rushed to get it uploaded so I made the decision to stick with the old style (but as Jerrry pointed out after it went online) all that does is reduce the actual amount of screen information.

Take the two shots above, the one on the right works out fine, but we are missing some of the environment, the city street, the car, whatever...and the widescreen version captures more of where I was, what I was doing at the time. So moving forward all of my vlogs WILL BE IN THE WIDESCREEN FORMAT.

Please stop sending emails complaining, at least my mom thought I looked cute, and (sometimes) that is the most important thing.

I'll have another vlog up later today.

Peace,

Pam OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment